We, the participants of the 3rd EFUC (European Forum on Underground Construction) Conference with the topic “Dimensions of Lithosphere”, held at the Technical University of Košice, January 29 – 31, 2007, Košice, Slovak Republic, stipulate for underground disposal of high level nuclear waste in great depth, meaning that:
In the owing feasibility studies for the underground high-level nuclear waste repositories the following must be taken in account:
- feasibility studies for excavating high level nuclear waste disposals in underground repositories deeper than 1000 m under the surface should be undertaken to ascertain the respective economical and geological possibilities,
- actual results of research for underground caverns in salt deposits should refer to the possibilities of similar waste disposal in other geological structures and depths under adequate ecological, economical and social conditions,
- in the next decades intensive international research will be necessary to realize final repository depths over 1000 m,
- the acceptance of the population has to be increased embedding them in all steps of future development with the scope of negotiating acceptable solutions,
Moreover the option should be taken into account to build and operate for several European countries only one common underground high-level nuclear waste repository.
- elaboration of consistent EU-radioactive protection rules for underground depositing high level nuclear waste,
- long-term behaviour of underground disposals due to their long-term stability with special reference to global changes and possible impacts of earthquakes.
Košice, January 31st, 2007